STEP 2: Writing a JOB POSTING

/
6 Comments
Aside from the job bank which requires a fairly straightforward and lacklustre ad written specific to their guidelines (see their website), my approach has been to write a posting that I hope will provide candidates with a feel for me and my family. Here’s a sample of our ad:


Seeking Live-In Nanny

We are a friendly, loving and playful family with a 5 month-old son, Logan, and a golden retriever, Orly, seeking a live-in caregiver for our son. Our household is vegetarian and meals are cooked vegan.

We are seeking a patient, fun, caring, and hardworking individual who is comfortable with dogs. This individual will take our son on walks, outings and to attend several local programs at the library and learning centres, so someone who enjoys being active in the community is a must. This individual should be playful, and enjoy music, physical activity, and games. We both work from home and require flexible hours. The selected candidate will work 30 hours/week spread across weekdays and weekends, daytimes and evenings. This individual will be responsible for light housework and cooking some of the time as well. Proficiency in the English language and minimum 1-year experience as a full-time caregiver for children are a must.

We live in Toronto’s East End (Beaches) in a wonderful neighbourhood with access to TTC and a pedestrian lifestyle with shops, restaurants, and cafes nearby. Nanny will be treated as one of the family and will be provided with lovely living quarters with private bedroom, side entrance, as well as a TTC Token allowance monthly. We are offering $11/hour (minus room and board). We are happy to take on a sponsorship and are considering nannies that are currently in Canada, as well as those who aren’t. Starting February 2015.

Excellent references must be provided.  Non-smoker please.  Current First Aid and Infant CPR.


Interested applicants should email cover letter and resume to Jenn at (insert email here).


You may also like

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn, your site has been so helpful. I'm just starting this process and was overwhelmed till now... Feels like I can do this without an agency. Could I ask you a couple of questions for help? Tina F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina, I'm so glad to hear that you're finding the blog helpful! Yes, please by all means ask away. :-) You can just post your questions in the comments section of each post and I'm happy to answer them.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jenn, I just emailed you but now found my original post! Thanks! My question is about timing. I return to work early March, and want a live-in to start Feb 15 (I know process could take longer). But on my business # application and on the job bank posting, do I use Feb 15 start date or do I use "immediate" start? All the postings I've seen have "start as soon as possible" and I'm wondering if Feb 15 would impact the LMO. For instance would they decline me by saying I have enough time to find someone locally... Thanks for your help. Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina, thanks for commenting. With regards to timing, the job bank won't allow you to post for a job that is that far off, as a result you need to put "as soon as possible" on your job bank ad. Having said that, I still put the actual date I was looking for on my business number application, as well as my LMIA application. I've always taken the approach of being as honest and transparent as possible and it has worked for me thus far. :-) I also had another reader follow the same advice (asap on job bank ad, but actual start on LMIA) and theirs was approved as well. When the rep from the job bank contacted me, he was the one who instructed me to change it to asap, so I think it is advised to do it this way. I hope that helps.

      Delete
  3. Ok thanks Jenn. Didn't know the options on the job bank were limited anyway. This helps a lot! Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I got to the point of posting the Job in Canadian Job bank in November. After that I didn't get a chance to review all the applications I got and interview. Can I start the interviews now or Is it too late after the job posting ? Should I post the job again in job bank? Please advice. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

The 411 on Nanny&Me

I am SO excited to have my son, Logan, provided with the one-on-one care of a nanny in our home. The process of recruiting and keeping a nanny seems intimidating at times and there are so many things to think about and consider. The goal of my blog is to support, encourage and empower parents who are considering and pursuing the path of a nanny.

Nanny&Me provides free resources and information that will support you in finding, selecting, and keeping a great nanny. Nanny&Me will also share our family's journey on the road to building a strong and positive relationship with our nanny.

About Me

My photo
Hi! (not sure the exclamation mark was necessary, but I'm just excited to say hello). My name's Jenn. I am a passionate mom, non-profit executive, real estate hobbiest, and athlete. I'm an enthusiastic person with a growth mindset. I love learning and growing every day!